Thursday, October 31, 2013

Using Digital to Make Photographs Look Like Film

The humor of using expensive, modern technology to create digital prints that look like they were made in the early phases of photography does not escape me. In fact, I'm curious as to why a person would want to spend hundreds of dollars on a software program, and countless hours learning that program, only to create an image with the likeness of those that were created in the 1800s. But I'm absolutely positive that one day I'll read this blog post and eat my words.

Either way, here is an update on the assignments I've been working on. Remember my images from the previous blog posting, where I discussed whether your old photographs are really black and white? This most recent assignment has me building on the tonal changes in the images to add textures and washings that look truly old. It's not enough to simply have the same colors as an old photograph... one must also show the textures of an old photograph. Let's explore:

Remember this fellah? He was the modern black and white. Since black and white came about in film, I added film grain to the image. Grainy, right? That is on purpose!

Oh, Cyanotype... you needed texture. So here is a bit of texture to make the modern look more realistic!

My favorite: sepia. I made this resemble an emulsion wash. 
Sometimes, our eyes can't remember what we saw before, so here is a look at the images from before the distressed effects, and after. What are your thoughts?




No comments:

Post a Comment