Thursday, September 19, 2013

Let there be...

Light! Photographers are master light manipulators. Look at an image... any image. Where is the light coming from? Is the light source illuminating the subject of the photograph in a manner that is appropriate? Is the subject stuck in the shadows, and the light is actually highlighting something in the background that has absolutely nothing to do with the purpose of the image?

This session, I'm learning how to use studio lights on still images. Tonight's lesson was on the effects of light placement, and the quantity of lights. Want a big, fat for instance? Here goes!


One light here. The placement of this light gives depth and form to the subjects, and completely ignores anything behind it.

Two lights here. The first light is in the same location, but I added a light to illuminate the background. This pulls the subject off of the backdrop, and makes it appear to not be floating in darkness as much. 
Back to one light, but this time I moved the light to be right in front of the subject. The effect is a harsher contrast between the highlights and shadows. 

I still have much to learn here, but I am already seeing some growth in my still life photography. This is exciting for me as I rather enjoy photographing inanimate objects.



No comments:

Post a Comment